Here are the facts about making your hair grow faster:
- On average, hair grows about 0.5 inches per month, or six inches a year.
- The speed of hair growth varies from person to person, depending heavily on genetics.
- Since the speed of hair growth is largely genetic, there is no proven way to make your hair grow faster than its natural pace.
- However… healthy hair grows the fastest and looks the best. If your hair is not healthy, it may not be meeting its full growth potential.
The Hair Growth Cycle and HealthHealthy hair (and skin and nails) are indicators of a person’s overall health. When optimum health conditions are met, healthy hair begins to grow normally. Let’s take a look at the hair growth cycle:
- The first and longest stage of the hair growth cycle is the anagen phase, or the phase of active hair growth. Hair in this stage is always growing. Approximately 80-90% of your hair is in this phase, and it can stay in this stage for anywhere from 2-7 years.
- The next stage is the catagen stage, otherwise known as the transition stage. In this stage, the hair follicle shrinks and the hair detaches from its blood supply, causing hair growth to stop. This is the shortest phase of the hair growth cycle, lasting about 10 days.
- The third phase is the telogen phase, or resting phase. In this phase, the hair that has detached from the blood supply continues to rest in the hair follicle, while at the same time new hair is growing beneath it. Approximately 10-15% of your hair is in this phase, which lasts about three months.
- The final phase of the hair growth cycle is the exogen, or hair shedding, phase. In this stage the detached hair is fully removed from the hair follicle and falls out, allowing new hair to take its place. Losing 50-100 strands of hair a day is considered normal.
Tips to Maximize Hair Growth and Make Your Hair Grow FasterFor many people, restoring healthy hair growth is a matter of making lifestyle adjustments. Top experts in the fields of holistic medicine (that treat the whole body, not just a part) as well as experts in hair care and styling commonly recommend these tips for growing hair healthier and faster:
1. Eat a healthy, balanced diet
- Vitamins like Vitamin C and the entire B Complex
- Zinc supplements
- A pro-biotic supplement to aid digestion and help your body get the most nutrition possible from the foods you eat.
2. Eliminate toxins
4. Protect the scalp
5. Take Proper Care of Your Hair and Scalp
- Keep hair coloring to a minimum, as it can strip and damage the hair. If you color your hair, try asking your stylist to give you a “shadow root” to keep the hair follicles intact.
- Avoid heat styling when possible. The heat from hair dryers, curling irons, and flat irons all damage the hair, so keep their use to a minimum. When you do use heat styling tools, spray a heat protector on the hair to minimize damage.
- Wash your hair as infrequently as possible, as this can stress the hair. Washing your hair once a week is recommended.
- Invest in quality products that gently cleanse, condition, nourish, protect and strengthen the hair you already have.
- Once a week, consider using a deep conditioning product that reduces split ends.
- Never pull your hair hard to style it. Brush hair gently with a soft brush, and be very careful when brushing wet hair.